How to Clean and Take Care of Leather Car Seats – An Advance Guide
To add a touch of luxury, a lot of people prefer getting a leather cover for their car seats. These leather seat covers come in huge varieties. From basic design to special ones, leather seat cover manufacturers have a lot to offer to its clients. Since they are a bit pricey than a regular seat cover, it is important for the owner to know how to clean leather car seats.
In recent years, luxury car manufacturers have used a lot of untreated aniline leather which looks quite stunning but is difficult to maintain. If you are investing in such an important element in your car, it is important to take proper leather car seat care. It helps a lot in keeping up with the shine and overall quality of the leather car seat.
How to Clean Leather Car Seat at Home?
With years of experience in leather car seat care, our experts have curated the best ways to help you clean your leather seat. In case of any difficulty, seek help from your regular car service provider. Here is the best way to clean leather car seats at home easily.
One of the most common ingredients that is used while maintaining your leather car seats at home is non-gel toothpaste. With the help of a toothbrush, gently scrub off the stain on the leather car seat. Do not scrub harshly as it can damage the leather material. Once it’s done, wipe the area with a clean cloth. To dry it out, use a towel. Toothpaste can remove scuffs from the leather car seats.
Cream of Tartar & Lemon Juice
These are other common ingredients that are available in every house. Make sure you use it only on light upholstery as it has a bleaching effect. Take equal parts of lemon juice and cream of tartar and mix them until it becomes a paste. Apply it to the area and wait for 30 minutes. Now with the help of a damp sponge, get rid of the paste. Your leather car seat will shine like a new one.
If you are looking for some easy ways to get rid of stains from your leather car seat, try out rubbing alcohol. Dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and rub it over the stain. Once the stain has been lifted, clean the surface with mild liquid dish soap and lukewarm water. Wipe off the area with a soft, damp and clean cloth. Use alcohol on leather smartly as it dries out the material.
For greasy stains, baking soda is a holy grail. It is effective to remove oil marks and stains on leather. Sprinkle in the area and rub it with a damp clean cloth. Leave it for a few hours or overnight. Baking soda will absorb the oil. With the help of a soft cloth, get rid of the powder. Remove residue with a damp cloth and dry it with a clean towel.
| Also Read: How to Remove Bird Poop Stains from Car Body? |
Do’s & Don’ts of Leather Car Seat Cleaning
We know how expensive a leather car seat can be. To keep up with the leather quality, here is the list of things you should and should not do.
Do’s of Leather Car Seat Cleaning
- Make sure to do a spot test of any leather cleaner in a hidden area to see if it is suitable or not for your seats.
- Before starting the cleaning process, you need to thoroughly vacuum the leather seat area. This step will help you ensure that the seat is dirt and dust-free.
- Always clean your leather car seat in small portions to avoid the chances of discolouration.
- To maintain leather quality, always use a microfiber cloth. They are soft and do not cause any scratch on the surface.
- While making the solution at home, mix two parts of vinegar with one part of water.
- Clean your leather car seat regularly and condition it occasionally.
Don’ts of Leather Car Seat Cleaning
- Do not spray anything directly on perforated leather. Always dampen the cloth with the solution instead.
- Avoid conditioners that contain petroleum or wax as they can dull the leather’s finish.
- Do not let wet solutions dry on the seats. Dry it with the help of a towel.
- Do not use a hard bristle brush for scrubbing stains.
- Do not use too much cleaning solution on the leather as it can damage it.
Since it is expensive, leather car seat care is really important to maintain the quality. Follow the above-mentioned process to keep up with your leather seat. It is always recommended to seek professionals in case of any query. As a leather car seat is a huge investment, be thoughtful at every step to make the most out of it!