All The Things You Need To Know About ULEZ
Once again the limelight has been shifted to the financial cost of motoring and its related components. The fuel pricing is once again a matter of discussion as it’s going through the roof right now. Another thing that everyone is eager to know about is ULEZ or Ultra Low Emission Zone.
So what is ULEZ?
ULEZ is an emission standard that everyone living in the area of Central London till the North and South Circular Roads has to comply with. The purpose of the ULEZ emission rule is to maintain a good air quality level in London, UK.
According to their official website, the failure to comply with the ULEZ 2021 emission standards will result in the form of a daily charge of £12.50 inside the stated ULEZ area. Similarly, failure to comply with the daily ULEZ charge will amount to a penalty charge of £160. This amount of penalty will be reduced to £80 if it is paid within 14 days.
It will be quite disappointing for the new drivers and car owners to know about the government’s new strategy. According to the state’s new decarbonization plan, the sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned from 2030.
The expansion of electric cars is being considered very seriously. So, for all the people who are thinking of buying a new car or any vehicle, hybrid or electric vehicle is the answer.
Check ULEZ Area
From Monday, October 25, 2021, the ULEZ area has been expanded to all North and South Circular Roads. We will give the visual through the ULEZ map that will help you understand what all area comes under ULEZ.
ULEZ Emission Standards
The Ultra Low Emission Standards are according to the Euro emission standards. It is based on the vehicle and emission type. The ULEZ standards are as follow:
- Euro 3: L category that includes motorcycles, mopeds, quadricycles, motorized tricycles.
- Euro 4: Petrol cars, vans, special purpose vehicles, minibus.
- Euro 6: Diesel cars, vans, special purpose vehicles, minibus.
Exemptions From 2021 ULEZ Emission Charge
Below, we have compiled the information regarding all the vehicles that will not have to pay the TFL ULEZ charge of £12.50 a day. These exemptions include:
- Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) Vehicles that are not used for commercial purposes and are manufactured and built before the date of 1st January 1981.
- Petrol cars registered from 2005 and few other petrol cars that were registered between the years 2001-2005.
- Vehicles that are manufactured before 1st January 1973.
- All petrol cars registered after the year 2006.
- All motorcycles/bikes that were purchased after July 2007.
- Euro 6 compliant cars and vans were initiated in Sept 2015.
- Zero Emission transport like Electric vehicles.
- All the London registered Taxis that are 15 or fewer years older.
- Vehicles that are used for special purposes like that for military or agricultural use.
- Till the date of 26th October 2025, all the designated wheelchair accessibility private hire vehicles are exempted.
- All the vehicles come under the category of historic tax class.
Brand of Electric Cars
You will be pleased to hear that electric car owners are not paying any TFL ULEZ charge currently and the government strategy is pointing directly towards their expansion. We will provide you with a list of the latest electric car brands that you can purchase from.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my car be affected by ULEZ in 2021?
From Monday (25 October), the ULEZ expanded the area up to north and south circular roads along with central London. People inside this zone will have to comply with the latest emission standards. Otherwise, they will have to pay £12.50 daily.
What cars are affected by ULEZ?
Those cars that do not comply with Euro 4 and Euro 6 emission standards, mentioned above.
When is ULEZ Expanding?
From Monday, 25 October 2021.
Is my car ULEZ compliant?
Check your vehicle here, ULEZ checker.